Andromeda: Red Storm Book One

This post was updated on .
I've begun writing a sci-fi/fantasy series of novels set on an alien planet, over four hundred years after the colonization of Mars, as humanity is attempting to spread beyond our own solar system.
The first book, currently titled W̶a̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶O̶l̶d̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶r̶s̶ ̶B̶l̶e̶e̶d̶ Andromeda, will be posted chapter-by- chapter here.

Re: Watch The Old Stars Bleed: Red Storm Book One

This post was updated on .
Chapter 1

------
It was a late, dry Autumn evening, when the last sun had fallen beneath the clouds, that the Red Armada filled the sky with steel. The hulking, iron-clad air vessels swept over the great Ariadne's Plains, their residual force alone knocking over trees by the hundred. If a single man had been standing beneath, there would be nothing left to identify him spare a mess of tattered shreds and chunks.
 Thirteen of them, passing on their way to the trading capital, Belmor. He had counted. He had always been interested in Imperial business. Something about their calm, yet intimidating nature. Or perhaps it was their simplistic, arching, somewhat industrial architecture. Derik pondered just why it was he enjoyed Imperialism as his mother stepped out onto the porch he was leaning on with a damp white shirt in her arms.
 "Come now Derik," She wheezed to him, "Dinner's nearly ready."

 Derik sprawled onto his bed. He sighed, then sat uprright, pulling back his shoulder-length blonde hair over his forehead and out of his eyes. He reached beneath his bed, pulling out a cheap blue plastic box, full of small pieces of machinery and wiring. While at the outdoor markets in Belmor every week, Derik would covertly swipe up little gadgets from the stalls. Usually these were just little bits of engines and electronics salvaged from abandoned Imperial machines, but sometimes there would be a hand-made clock, or a child's robot toy.
 Derik liked to fashion these into his own inventions. Mostly the pieces were incompatable, and those that did fit together were lucky to do anything at all. But he was saving them up. He had a good amount of Imperial machinery now, and with only a small bit more he would be able to able to build his own Red Armada Scouting Droid, the many robots that roamed unexplored areas of the Martian landscape and report conditions back to the Red Empire. He figured that, because they're made for rallying information, he could be able to program it to communicate with other electronics, and perhaps it could even be capable of speech.
 For now the droid was but a mess of scraps organised carefully on his table, under a hand-drawn blueprint for the creation of the robot. Derik looked at the box of scraps for a while, then slid it back under his bed and headed downstairs for his dinner.
 Soon after eating, he and his mother left for the market, as they did every Friday. Derik grabbed a linen satchel and tied it to his belt-loop. The sun was going down over the Martian plains, causing the sun-baked rock to turn an even redder colour, and spreading an orange glow over the man-made Lake Alexandria which spread itself from the small farmlands where Derik and his mother lived all the way to Belthor and along the northern border of New California. Derik brought out the last bag of crops to the car and they left for the city. The road to Belthor was long and empty. The farmlands were pretty much the only things out that way, so there was always very little cars on the road, spare the odd shoddy electric car or the sometimes an electric truck, belonging to the wealthier farmers in the area. As they neared the city the giant walls surrounding it became clearer, and cracks in it became apparent. The walls were over three hundred years old, dating back to soon after the full colonisation of Mars.
 The car hummed closer to the southern gate and they slowed to a stop. A man in a white kevlar helmet and a red nylon uniform that failed to mask the heavy body armour underneath, emblazoned with a red and white semi-circular logo. He was a Red Armada soldier. They guarded the city of Belthor, as being the capital city of New America, it required heavy protection from possible terrorism attempts. Not that the extra security helped much, as there was still a fairly high terror rate in the city.
 Derik's mother handed over their passports. The guard checked them and handed them back, opening a gigantic steel gate just high enough to allow the car through.

Re: Watch The Old Stars Bleed: Red Storm Book One

Very nice. It's certainly grabbed my attention, and I can't wait to get to see more characters and the plot unfold. Please, do continue.

And please don't abandon this one.

Re: Watch The Old Stars Bleed: Red Storm Book One

I'll try

Re: Watch The Old Stars Bleed: Red Storm Book One

This post was updated on .
Chapter 2

------

 Inside the city, you would barely be able to tell it was the same place. The walls were all painted a pale blue and there was a large mural going around the gate, showing the first expedition to Mars, which would have been some four hundred years ago now, landing in a very artsy, cartoony style. At fiest, all they saw were tall concrete buildings seperated by the odd corner shop and the occasional supermarket. They were very plain and ordinary, but there was something strangely appealing about them. Soon after, the buildings began to fade into more old-fashioned, 21st to 22nd century looking buildings. The Glendale Canal ran through the centre of the city out to where it met Lake Alexandria.
 The were driving along the river for some time now, and all the while Derik had been watching the large screens plastered to the walls on the other side. For ince, these screens were not simply showing advertisements. Instead, there was a man speaking, a large enough man who looked to be in his late forties, with short hair and a trim beard, both of which were peppered with grey. He was probably the Mayor, although they seemed to elect a new one every other week, so their faces never really stuck in Derik's head.
"With you help, we can build a better 2450." The man said. He had a commanding, yet comforting voice. He sounded like a real leader.
"We can build a better future for all mankind." He spoke again. Suddenly the screen faded to a shot of outer space, and the man began to narrate over it.
"The Red Armada Reasearch and Development devision have made a groundbreaking discovery in space travel. With this new technology, we are able to travel massive distances with little effort needed." The screen showed a spacecraft drifting away from Mars. It slowly accelerated and soon it was leaving the Solar System.
"We have detected a possibly habitible planet in the nearby Andromeda solar system. The Red Armada wants new recruits for investigation. Mars has proven a safe enough place to support human life- but how long? Just think- YOU could be the one to save all of human life." The screen faded into the Red Armada emblem, a white semi-circle with a dark red circle in the middle, and then cut back to advertising.
 Derik's mother was setting up their stall. They were in the middle of a bustling marketplace, full of stalls mongering off their crops and scraps and crowded with people looking to get a good price on their dinner.
Derik's mother handed him a big woven bag and some coins.
"Be sure to grab some mushrooms from Mr. Goodman, we'll be having soup tomorrow." She said to him.
"Yes." Derik replied, and he turned and began walking into the market.
 "And remember the potatoes this time!" she called to him.  He just looked back and nodded. With this amount of commotion around them, she certainly wouldn't be able to hear him, and he wasn't actually sure if she had even seen him.
 He started taking his usual route through the market streets. It took him around all the grocers he needed and what he had decided was the best butcher in town, and also gave him enough access to any scrap machinery stalls he regularly took from. Today he managed to salvage some spring-based parts, as well as the hammer and trigger from an old revolver.
 He was nearly done, on a small detour to reach the mushrooms his mother had asked for when his faced met a hard, cold wall of nylon.
 "Think you'd get away with it, did you?" Derik looked up to see a very tall guard smirking down at him.
"I've seen you," said the guard. His voice was raspy and his breath smelled of tobacco. "Every day coming here, pocketing whatever you feel like. What're you building? A robot?" He chuckled. Derik didn't know what to say. He had been caught by the Red Armada.
 "What's that? I said- are you building a robot?" He sneered at Derik.
"... Yes." He replied. He wished he hadn't said it. He really didn't know why he did; it just sort of came out of his mouth. The man let out a high-pitched laugh. This got him a few funny looks from the people around them, but he kept going.
"Hear that? This one's building a robot!" He leaned closer to Derik. "Listen here, boy. We don't settle for thieves here in Belmor. You've got guts though, stealing in a place like this. I'll tell you what, kid. You-" he pushed his finger against Derik's chest "-go sign up for the Andromeda Mission, and we can just look over this whole thing."
 "What's the alternative?" Derik asked, but he was fairly certain he knew the answer. The man raised himself up.
"Well- you've been stealing here every week for... What's that, six years now? Yeah, I saw you. Every single time."
"You..." Derik was at a loss for words. All this time he was so sure of his stealthiness, and yet he had never once evaded the guards.
"So, let's see, withy the penalty for stealing, I suppose that would make... About twenty years in prison."
Derik thought about this for a while. Then it snapped.
"You've been waiting, haven't you?"
"Yeah. Thought it would be a bit of fun." He chuckled. "To be fair, I was trying for the thirty year mark, but someone else managed to spot, you see, and-"
"What does Andromeda involve?"
"Eh? Already looking for an escape, huh? Alright- Andromeda is ten years setting up a colony on a distant planet. It's a bit risky, now... Anything could be out there. So, what do you say?"
 Derik paused. He looked back at his mother. He'd be forty by the time he returned from a prison sentence like that. His poor old mother might not even be here when he got back.
 "I'll... I'll take Andromeda."

Re: Andromeda: Red Storm Book One

As you have probably noticed, I renamed the book "Andromeda". I recently planned out the whole story and realised that "Watch The Old Stars Bleed" would fit much better for the second book. Also, now that I have the time and my Christmas-induced binge gaming has worn off Chapter 3 should be done later today.

Re: Andromeda: Red Storm Book One

This post was updated on .
Holy shit I'm lazy. Time to get back to this.

Chapter 3

---

The dull call of klaxons welcomed Derik into a new day aboard the RAC Andromeda. He woke up at eight in the morning, as according to schedule. Each group would then take turns at the physical training suite. Derik was assigned to group C, which was full of men that looked to be quite a bit more used to physical training than Derik was. Among the others, he stood out like a sore thumb. One scrawny, blonde guy in his early twenties, yet to grow competent facial hair among a team of burly men, all buzz-cut and stubble aplenty.
 After an hour of physical training, the groups would go on to survival classes. Here they would be taught how to adapt to the environment of the planet Serica. Basic stuff, like building fires, rationing their supplies, and potentially fending off hostile life forms.
 This kind of routine went on for weeks. Sure, they had entertainment, they played sports, there were movies, they even access to a, however slow, connection to the internet.
 "Get up."  A very deep, loud voice filled Derik's ear, almost overtaking the klaxons. This voice belonged to Rick, a huge, well-built, albeit rather friendly man. "Come on, physical's up soon. Your favourite."

Re: Andromeda: Red Storm Book One

Play the demo thing now