Dollhouse Teaser

Caroline was having a hard time reading Adelle DeWitt. Usually she was good at that, but she could practically feel the lens of the security camera of the swanky board room looking at her back. She was sweating, and she was tired. God, why was she so tired these days? It was all that running. But Adelle had caught her. DeWitt was pretty enough, early forties with dark, wavy hair that stood high on her head. Her tongue added a clicking noise to her posh British accent when she was annoyed: and boy, was she annoyed.

"It seems pretty clear to me." Caroline retorted. She was proud that her voice didn't break.

"Because you're only seeing part of it. I'm talking about a clean slate."

"You ever try and clean an actual slate? You always see what was on it before."

Adelle pointed her lips into a smile without showing teeth, the smile of a weary mother. Despite the smile, Caroline got a hint of deflation. "Are you volunteering?"

Caroline scoffed. "I don't have a choice, do I? How did it get this far?"

"Caroline, actions have consequences." That smile was still plastered to the bitch's face. Seeing it again made Caroline jump to her feet.

"Oh God, you're loving this, aren't you?!"

Adelle widened her eyes a fraction. "I'm sorry you don't understand what I'm offering you. But what we do helps people. If you become a part of that, it can help you."

"Right. You're just... looking out for me."

"Perhaps better than you have." Adelle replied acidly. "We can take care of this mess. After your five year term, you will be free to--"

"I dont deserve this! I was... I was just trying to make a difference. Trying to... take my place in the world, like she always said, and now I'm ..."

Caroline sunk into the chair. Defeated. "I know, I know. Actions have consequences."

Adelle leaned forward, spoke so quietly that her words were merely a whisper.

"...what if they didn't?"