Luck

Hoorah, I'm finally uploading my first screenplay! Sadly, my Dropbox is being screwy, so I had to copy and paste. As a result, it's unformatted, all one big block. But please, persevere and let me know what you think.

Continue reading for me shart filum, loosely based on the Irish short story of the almost same name.

*

INT. CLASSROOM - DAY
A cramped, bare, low-budgeted classroom, filed with sweaty teens. The weary eyed teacher, MRS. AVERY, is writing on the black board.
MRS. AVERY
Now most people get the Aztecs and Incas mixed up. But we historians are not "most people", are we?
(turns around)
Who can tell me the conquerer of the Aztec civilisation? Ms. Vickers?
(beat)
MRS. AVERY (CONT'D)
MS. VICKERS?
CLOSE UP:
-- On SHAUNA VICKERS. Beautiful, in an earthy way, shiny brown hair, skin ever so slightly bronzed. Sharp, bubbly, witty, clearly a city girl: not from around here. She's staring at the ceiling.
MRS. AVERY
(raging)
MISS VICKERS! Are you paying attention?!
SHAUNA
(still looking)
Yep. I just wanted to see how many decibels you were willing to break. Heavy Metal has hurt my ears less.
MRS. AVERY
Well how about another experiment? Let's see how long you can stay awake in detention. After school.
Shauna leans forward.
SHAUNA
Fine by me.
(smiles)
It'll just give you a chance to love me all over again.
EXT. SCHOOL - DAY
Shauna skips out of the school entrance, her dress' skirt billowing slightly in the wind. We can see the sea: we are on SPECTRE ISLAND, home to several earthy, removed people. Not Shauna: she's recently moved.
Shauna goes calmly down the steps, where two people are waiting for her: HANNAH HAYES and TOBY DELANEY. Hannah is blonde, short, uncomfortable in her own skin. Toby has curly black hair, tall and stringy, clearly spends more time on the computer than outdoors.
TOBY
I'm struggling to remember a time when you didn't piss off a teacher.
The three depart, heading down a winding road towards the beach.
SHAUNA
My dearest Toby, you've only known me a short while. Then again, I've only known this island a few months, and I can tell you, this is the most depressing shithole on the map. Who'dve thought that I'd actually miss Boston...
HANNAH
What's so bad about this place?
SHAUNA
Girl, there is NOTHING HERE! The Post Office getting stamps in is your equivalent of the Superbowl! And "Jenda's Java Coffee"? Jenda should've sold out and become a Starbucks by now.
HANNAH
(meekly)
I like it here...
SHAUNA
(sighs)
I'm sorry, Hannah. I just miss the ol' homestead.
TOBY
Then why'd you come here?
SHAUNA
You can thank my Dad for that: the offer of his own restaurant shithole was too good to refuse.
EXT. BEACH - DAY
The three arrive at the white beach. A grey sky overlooks the dull sea. Bobbing on the ocean by the pier is a large white YACHT, straight out of the magazines.
SHAUNA
Great Muppety Odin! Spectre Island just came into the 21st century!
HANNAH
That's Hunter's. His uncle's rich for doing something boring.
TOBY
Oh good: now we know he's rich, we have another reason to hate him.
HUNTER (O.S.)
Wow, Delaney...
The three whirl around to see HUNTER FERRY - handsome, clad in black, acting the bad boy to defy his background - smirking, hands in pockets.
HUNTER (CONT'D)
Sometimes: your words hurt.
SHAUNA
Look darlings: it's the rare Prick-type Pokémon.
HUNTER
Miss Shauna Vickers. So very, very witty. Admiring Uncle Willis' boat? Latest model.
SHAUNA
Not caring.
HUNTER
(chuckles)
Oh, Shauna, look at we star-crossed lovers, bickering to hide our true feelings.
SHAUNA
I'm bickering because it's fun and I'm winning. Why you continue is baffling.
HUNTER
Well, as wonderful as it has been chatting with you and your two mute friends, I have to go catch up with the family over some bacteria on toast.
(smiles)
Say, your father cooks the food there, right?
Shauna's jaw tightens. Hunter chuckles again and slowly walks away.
SHAUNA
(calling after him)
Try not to get hit by a bus on your way there!
TOBY
Dickhead...
HANNAH
Does anybody else really wanna kill that guy?
Shauna smiles slightly, and something catches her eye: THE YACHT. Her smile widens. She retreats back up the path, beckoning to the others.
SHAUNA
Fly, my pretties! Methinks we have a plan!
EXT. SPECTRE ISLAND MAIN SQUARE - DAY
Hunter dodges some civilians and enters SMOKEY JOE's, a fading establishment with food to match. Down the street, Shauna, Toby and Hannah follow.
TOBY
Why did your dad call it "Smokey Joe's"?
SHAUNA
(shrugs)
Beats me. He doesn't smoke. And his name isn't Joe.
The three approach the window. Inside is a typical diner, booths and a severely broken jukebox. Near the door, Hunter hugs a thin, bony woman who can only be his aunt. Next to him is a short, pudgy man, holding a whiskey bottle tightly.
SHAUNA
Is that his dad?
HANNAH
No, must be his uncle.
TOBY
Jesus, I can smell him from here...
SHAUNA
Come on...
She pushes open the door and enters--
INT. SMOKEY JOE'S - DAY
She opens the door quietly, not wanting the bell to ring. Hunter and his family sit a few booths down. Quickly and quietly, Shauna leads the other two into the booth behind them, perfect for eavesdropping...
AUNT MERYL
I'm serious! I didn't know until then that you couldn't wear white AFTER LABOUR DAY! And I just wanted to DIE!
UNCLE WILLIS
(slurred)
Say, son, you don't happen to know when your parents are comin'?
HUNTER
Uh, no, they, uh... they didn't say.
AUNT MERYL
Well, no one's getting on that boat until Mark and Sissy get here.
UNCLE WILLIS
Well, excuse me, PRINCESS, but I was hopin' to take Hunter out on the boat.
TOBY
(whispering)
Are we listening for something--?
SHAUNA
Sssh!
AUNT MERYL (O.S.)
Well he can't without his parents' permission!
ANGLE ON:
Hunter, as he rubs his forehead: he is clearly not fussed about the boat, nor surprised by the bickering.
AUNT MERYL (CONT'D)
And I doubt they'll allow it, not with this weather.
UNCLE WILLIS
Say, Meryl, have you always been a VAPID BITCH, cos I sure as hell don't remember marrying you--!
HUNTER
Uncle Willis!
SHAUNA
(whispering)
C'mon, I've heard enough...
They exit the booth, keeping low, and head for the door...
EXT. ALLEYWAY - DAY
--As the restaurant's back door flies open. Shauna emerges holding a pillowcase, clearly filled with stuff. She rushes down the alley and we...
CUT TO:
EXT. PIER - DAY
Shauna scurries down the pier to Hannah and Toby, who have been waiting for her by Willis' Yacht. They see her approaching, pillowcase swinging.
TOBY
Where have you been?
(re: pillowcase)
Ok, better question: what's in the sack?
SHAUNA
(kneels down)
Come and admire, children...
She pulls open the case, revealing its contents: STINK BOMBS.
HANNAH
Are those stink bombs?
Shauna nods.
SHAUNA
Childish, but effective. The drunk guy in desperate need of a stairmaster back there is gonna take Hunter out on the Yacht. We three will, of course, slip aboard before departure and, upon their return, will release the aforementioned bombs. Mommy and Daddy will think their little darling Hunter has been smoking things he shouldn't, he gets into trouble, and we three ride off into the sunset.
TOBY
You cannot be serious!
HANNAH
There are way too many things that could go wrong! I'm not doing it.
SHAHNA
(sighs)
Guys, look: no offence, but you two NEED to live a little! There's barely enough things to live for on this rock, so we can't stick around feeling sorry that Hunter is such a dickhead. We have to do something about it, stick up for ourselves! Now come on: do something worthwhile?
Toby and Hannah exchange a glance. They have clearly been sold.
HANNAH
Ok.
TOBY
I'm in.
SHAUNA
(smiles)
There's my troops! Now come on, we have 10 minutes, max: let's look for hidey holes!
EXT. PIER - DAY
Toby is emerging from the Yacht onto the pier, dragging a huge red trunk.
SHAUNA
Is this it?
TOBY
(panting)
No. There's another one inside.
HANNAH
So, we have a grand total of two hiding places--
SHAUNA
And three people. Comrades, it appears we'll have to narrow it down.
(idea)
Wait here...
Shauna rushes back up the beach, leaving her friends mystified.
EXT. BEACH - DAY
ANGLE ON:
Some TALL GRASS, blowing in the wind, a bit forcefully: it is more windy, the sky growing darker. Shauna appears in the distance, growing bigger until she reaches the grass. She bends down and tugs three shards of grass from the soil before returning the way she came.
EXT. PIER - DAY
Shauna skips once again down the pier to her friends. She stops and holds the grass in her fist.
SHAUNA
We'll do it like our ancestors did before they invented fun. The one who picks the longest has to stay. Toby, you're up.
Hesitantly, Toby takes a piece. It is REALLY SHORT.
SHAUNA
Hannah?
Hannah takes a piece. It is of MODERATE SIZE.
SHAUNA
Here we go...
She takes the final piece: it is the longest of the three.
SHAUNA
Shit!
TOBY
(laughing slightly)
Sorry, Shauna--
SHAUNA
No, that's not fair! It was my idea!
HANNAH
It was also your idea to do the grass thing.
Shauna searches for an excuse, but can't find one.
SHAUNA
Shit... fine, grab your bombs, I'll put you in the cases.
Hannah and Toby kneel down and each grab two fistfuls of stink bombs.
EXT. YACHT - DAY
Aboard the boat, Shauna opens one of the red trunks. Inside is a bunch of fishing gear.
SHAUNA
Woah: let's do the time warp again. I didn't know people still went fishing. Come on, in.
Toby scrambles inside.
SHAUNA
Remember: don't fuck up.
Toby NODS. SHAUNA CLOSES THE CASE.
HANNAH
Shauna, I'm not really into this, you can go if you want...
Shauna looks tempted. A beat. She shakes her head.
SHAUNA
No, you go. I gave a big speech about living: I have to stick to the bet and let you do it.
Hannah gives a small smile and gets into the trunk.
SHAUNA
Good luck.
Shauna closes the case. She drags the two trunks inside the Yacht.
EXT. BEACH - DAY
Shauna retreats back up the beach. UNCLE WILLIS appears, going towards the boat. Shauna looks nervous and stares at the ground while walking. They pass each other.
UNCLE WILLIS
(checking her out)
Hey there, darlin'--
SHAUNA
I'm sixteen, fuckrag.
He looks pissed as she walks away. He takes a swig from his bottle and continues to the boat.
SHAUNA reaches the top of the beach and watches Willis enter the Yacht. She looks around.
SHAUNA
(to herself)
Come on, Hunter...
Down below, the boat's ENGINE STARTS. Willis is going for a ride alone.
SHAUNA
(to herself)
Crap...
She looks like she wants to get her friends, but too late: the boat is already leaving.
SHAUNA
(sighs)
See ya later, guys...
With one last look, she departs.
INT. SHAUNA'S HOUSE: HALLWAY - AFTERNOON
Shauna kicks open the front door, puts her backpack on the floor. Thunder can be heard outside.
SHAUNA
Dad?
JEFF (O.S.)
In here!
INT. SHAUNA'S HOUSE: KITCHEN - AFTERNOON - CONTINUOUS
Shauna enters to find her father, JEFF VICKERS - 40's, divorced, untidily handsome - cooking on the stove.
SHAUNA
(sits down)
Hey.
JEFF
Fun day?
SHAUNA
(shrugs)
82 on precalc test.
JEFF
Very nice.
SHAUNA
Just the one detention--
JEFF
Wow, I can't remember the last time that happened...
SHAUNA
And two guys asked me out.
JEFF
(sits down)
Only two?
SHAUNA
I know. I must be losing my touch.
JEFF
Do me a favour, go down to the video store after homework?
SHAUNA
Sure. What movie?
JEFF
(shrugs)
Something that doesn't remind me of your mother. So, basically, something without women.
Shauna stands and goes for the door.
SHAUNA
'Kay. We'll "Thelma and Louise" it again.
JEFF
Uh, that has women in it...
SHAUNA
I know. But I'm the one getting it.
(smiles)
And Brad Pitt's in it.
She leaves, closing the door silently.
INT. CLARK'S VIDEOS - DUSK
Shauna is wading through the shelves of DVDs. PARKER, the store clerk - 20's, thin, clear a stoner - watches her from the desk.
SHAUNA
(to herself)
T-t-t-t-t... Thelma, Thelma... Thelma!
She grabs the DVD and skips to the desk. She hands it to Parker.
SHAUNA
Bill me, my good man.
PARKER
D'you have your card?
A beat.
SHAUNA
You always have to ruin the fun...
She slides the card across the desk.
SHAUNA (CONT'D)
Say, you haven't seen Hannah or Toby around, have you?
PARKER
(as he scans)
Um, nope. Y'know, my band has a gig in the bar this Saturday.
SHAUNA
Wow. That's amazing information and I am now sensing that you weren't finished, so I'll shut up. This is me, shutting up. Consider me shut. I'm really quite good at it.
PARKER
(nervous)
Well, uh, you should come see us. And, um, maybe we could do something after, maybe...?
SHAUNA
(laughs)
Parker, you devil! You've admired me from afar for these few months and now you're asking me out?
PARKER
Uh, yeah. I was being mysterious.
Shauna laughs and grabs the DVD.
SHAUNA
Goodnight, Parker.
She goes for the door.
PARKER
Wait, you didn't answer!
SHAUNA
I know!
(goes through doorway)
I was being mysterious!
(to herself)
And Parker makes three...
CUT TO:
EXT. SPECTRE ISLAND MAIN SQUARE - DUSK
Shauna exits into the square. Night is practically here. No one is around, but commotion can be heard far away. Shauna looks around. She doesn't like this.
SHAUNA
(calling)
Hannah? Toby? C'mon guys, stop fucking around!
She edges closer, to the fountain.
SHAUNA (CONT'D)
Come on guys, I was worried, I haven't seen you all day. Guys?
Nothing. Shauna turns around--
And YELPS as a figure appears. Shauna steadies herself: it is MRS. HAYES, Hannah's mother, looking worried, eyes puffy.
SHAUNA
Oh, God, Mrs. Hayes, you scared me--
MRS. HAYES
Where is she? Where's Hannah?
SHAUNA
(lying)
Um, I thought she was, uh, studying at Toby's, I haven't--
MRS. HAYES
Don't give me that! You're always leading her into trouble! Where is she? Tell me!
SHAUNA
I...
MRS. HAYES
Oh, for God's Sake...
She rushes past Shauna to two other people who have appeared behind the fountain: Jeff and MR. DELANEY, Toby's father, tall and gruff, clearly very different from his son.
SHAUNA
Mr. Delaney? Dad, what's--?
MRS. HAYES
(to Mr. Delaney)
She's lying, Arthur, she knows something she's not saying.
SHAUNA
Could I get briefed here, please? What's happening, where is everybody?
JEFF
They're down at the beach, something's--
Mr. Delaney approaches, intimidating, and GRABS Shauna by the shoulders.
MR. DELANEY
Did you put them there? Were they aboard that boat? TELL ME!
JEFF
Arthur!
SHAUNA
(scared)
Dad, please...
JEFF
(sighs)
It's Willis Ferry's boat...
MR. DELANEY
WAS MY SON ON THAT BOAT?!
Finally, it dawns on Shauna. Everyone's at the beach. Something has happened with Willis' boat. Hannah and Toby are missing. Shauna stares into space, eyes wide, tearing up.
SHAUNA
(nearly a whisper)
There was only room for two...
Mr. Delaney's hands drop at his sides. Mrs. Hayes begins to cry again. Shauna looks towards the beach, and she runs.
JEFF
Shauna!
But she doesn't stop.
EXT. BEACH - DUSK
Shauna launches down the beach, which is packed with people under the darkening sky. She skids to a stop halfway up. Out in the water, Willis' Yacht has OVERTURNED. Local police investigate, interviewing people.
SHAUNA
No...
Then, just at the tide, a man drags a RED TRUNK onto shore. It is soaking wet, wide open, and EMPTY.
SHAUNA
No... NO!
She tries to run, but JEFF has appeared and holds her back. The people on the beach turn to look at her, crying and kicking and screaming.
SHAUNA
NO!!! STOP IT, LET ME GO! LET ME GO! NO, PLEASE, NO! NOOO!!!
Jeff whispers soothing words. Slowly, her screams descend into sobbing, and she collapses on the sand, her father hugging her and holding her back, and she just keeps trying to reach the trunk.
Then, she gives up and weeps into the sand.
EXT. GRAVEYARD - AFTERNOON
ANGLE ON: Brown wood, which fills the screen. Then, it lowers to reveal Shauna, wearing a black dress and looking like she has only now just stopped crying. Days have passed. Her father stands to her left, Hunter Ferry to her right.
BIRD'S EYE VIEW:
Three coffins are lowered into the ground. People in black stand at the side. A Priest reads words we cannot here. We are at a funeral.
Hunter looks at Shauna, who is staring at the ground. Slowly, he extends his hand. She glances at him. A beat, two beats, three, and she laces her fingers in his. Then she goes back to looking at the ground.
INT. SHAUNA'S HOUSE: KITCHEN - AFTERNOON - LATER
Shauna enters, still in black, and we get a glimpse of other people in black before she slams the door. She closes her eyes, breathes, and sits at the table. She puts her head down and her shoulders quake. She hears the door open and shoots back up: MR. DELANEY is there, in a decent suit, looking awkward.
Shauna hastily wipes her cheeks and looks away. Mr. Delaney looks at her back for a moment before pulling open the fridge, retrieves a beer, closes it again. There's silence.
MR. DELANEY
He loved you, you know.
A beat. Shauna closes her eyes. Mr. Delaney sighs and exits again.
Shauna runs a hand through her hair, shaking. She looks at something.
ANGLE ON: THE BACK DOOR
EXT. BEACH - AFTERNOON
Shauna steps into frame, her billowing dress shrouding her in black. She looks out to sea. No Yacht in sight. Her hand covers her mouth. Her eyes tear up.
HUNTER (O.S.)
Hey.
She turns. Standing there is HUNTER, wearing his funeral suit, looking thoughtful.
HUNTER
I'm guessing you're doing the guilt trip? Well, I've been there.
(indicates himself)
Take your best shot.
Shauna just stares at him from a moment. Then, rage fills her face, and she LEFT HOOKS him. Hunter's head lolls to the side, and she RIGHT HOOKS him. Spittle flies, and Shauna is screaming, slapping at his face, pounding at his chest. She shoves him and he falls, and she's on top of him, whacking his face.
SHAUNA
It's you! YOU DID IT!
(punch)
It's your fault!
(punch)
YOU SELFISH, MURDEROUS BITCH!
(punch)
YOU'RE DISGUSTING!
(punch)
YOU'RE NOTHING!!!
Her blows lessen. Hunter's nose is bleeding. In a few seconds, she is merely slapping at his chest, crying hysterically. She tries to raise her fist, but Hunter grabs it softly with his hand. He pulls her into a hug. Both are crying, him silently. He sits up, and Shauna is leaning on him. Her volume drops.
Lying on the sand, Hunter's arms wrapped around her, Shauna looks out to sea. It lasts for a few seconds, but then it's too painful. She closes her eyes and buries her face in Hunter's chest.
BLACK OUT.
THE END.

Re: Luck

Is Shauna based on Chloe Bennet?

Re: Luck

Surprisingly, no. In fact, I didn't base any of them off actors. Although I kinda pictured Willis as a much older Zac Galifianakis (I don't think that's how you spell it...)

Re: Luck

Zac Gallifrey