Shards

12

Shards

This post was updated on .
Square Enix recently announced their new "Collective" campaign, where they let independent developers pitch ideas, if SE like the idea they'll send it on to a large community database for four weeks and if the community like it, it's sent to Indiegogo to get a Kickstarter-esque funding. After that you get to do whatever you want with your game, and Square Enix will publish it.
 What I want to do is a cel-shaded Zelda-esque (not Chibi like Wind Waker, though) action adventure game. What I want you to do is write me the best story you can. I want there to be some kind of dramatic/epic opening, then split the game into chapters. I want each chapter to explain something from a previous chapter. And keep it light on characters, don't get too many characters involved, just enough so you get to know the characters so you can love/hate/love and hate them. Also extremely sad death scene would be nice. Other than that, do whatever you want, and I'll focus on nice graphics and gameplay.

Re: We're making a fucking Square Enix game.

Ok. I'll get started. Is there a deadline?

And perhaps we should upload a pitch for every single project we have floating in our minds. You know, maybe.

Re: We're making a fucking Square Enix game.

When you say Zelda-esque, does that mean it has to be the standard 'village boy + princess + enchanted stuff + dungeons = goodness' game? Cos I don't know if I could do that. I have this story called Sentience in the works, but that might not work...

Re: We're making a fucking Square Enix game.

I meant the gameplay is Zelda-esque. For the story I'd like a fantasy theme with lots of symbolism and dramaticness. Dungeons, but also lots of overworld-based stuff. Anythong from Shadow of the Colossus-tinged epicness to Majora's Mask-style creepiness will do.

Re: We're making a fucking Square Enix game.

This post was updated on .
Imagine Wind Waker for the gameplay.

Re: We're making a fucking Square Enix game.

Ok, so I started brainstorming ideas last night and I came up with one I really like. Just one problem: it's pretty darn different to the Zelda thing. Here it is:

The working title is Shards. A young redhead girl named Clara goes to a secluded mansion which was owned by one of her ancestors. Clara is investigating, as she has found three separate women in old documents and books who look just like her: Clara is appearing throughout history. Clara reads diaries in the mansion, allowing the player to jump between the past and future and play as different versions of her. Each will have its own separate story, while contributing to the wider story-arc, which is, of course, why Clara is being reborn multiple times. It will hopefully have that kind of Majora's Mask eeriness about it. It's pretty basic at this stage, but it could be a good'n...

Re: We're making a fucking Square Enix game.

Do it, print it, eat it, I dunno, do whatever you writer people do. It's perfect.

Re: We're making a fucking Square Enix game.

YAYSERS!!!!

Re: We're making a fucking Square Enix game.

I had an idea, a symbol could appear somewhere in each area. It's the symbol behind the logo below. Here's some art, a logo and Clara.

Both of these have HD counterparts.

Re: We're making a fucking Square Enix game.

Clara concept art-

Re: We're making a fucking Square Enix game.

I approve of both. Obviously she won't dress that way in every incarnation. Or wield a sword XD

And did you hear they're allowing pitches for a few licensed properties? I'd pitch a new Fear Effect just to make up for the terrible lesbian relationship that was just to appeal to men.

Re: We're making a fucking Square Enix game.

Yeah, but I didn't really like the IPs. Fear Effect would be cool but difficult, and as much as I love Gex I don't think I'd be able to change it up enough.

Re: We're making a fucking Square Enix game.

Yeah, I had never heard of Gex and Anachronix. Now, if they allowed Parasite Eve or Tomb Raider...

BTW, I figured out a possible reason for the symbol appearing. The original Clara is a scientist in the future. She and her partner, Isaac (who totally digs her) were doing research on time and eventually opened a timestream. However, they couldn't control it and Clara (and Isaac's pendant, the symbol) got sucked in. Isaac froze the timestream before Clara could disappear so she keeps appearing all over time with no memory of her other selves. In the end, she remembers (I've yet to figure out how) and convinces Isaac to let her go, because time is breaking apart. She then disappears in the timestream, wondering where - and when - she'll come out.

Re: We're making a fucking Square Enix game.

I was hoping for something more epic... Like, they're all reincarnations and the playable parts are Clara reading from a book.

Re: We're making a fucking Square Enix game.

The diary thing is still there. Like, Clara finds a diary, starts reading it and then it jumps to like 100 years ago version Clara, and the player plays as her for a bit. They're kind of reincarnations, they don't just pop up all over time. They just become implemented in time, they're born and everything. Then they have kind of residual memories and suspicions like present day Clara.

Re: We're making a fucking Square Enix game.

Right, I just reread that and it sounds better than I originally thought. But... go read a synopsis of The Lost Future's story: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Layton_and_the_Unwound_Future

Re: We're making a fucking Square Enix game.

It's not too similar but I noticed that. Here's an example of the graphics, from a different game but using the same shading engine: http://forum.unity3d.com/attachment.php?s=d48e7ab18a53e1a9914b78fff22597dc&attachmentid=2477&stc=1&d=1204572074

Re: We're making a fucking Square Enix game.

I honestly see little to no difference between Layton and this.

Another thing: when I decided on the name Clara, I hadn't come up with the time hopping thing, so I'm afraid it may draw comparisons with Clara from Doctor Who, who kept appearing all over the Doctor's timestream. We don't have to change anything, but it may occur to some people.

P.S. Jack finally started reading Dollhouse! Yay!

Re: We're making a fucking Square Enix game.

Layton and his girlfriend, Claire open a time vortex, Claire gets sent to Layton's future, Layton has to say goodbye to her all sad-like... Anyway, I'm going to try and start development on an engine soon, and just after christmas development will start properly. The levels will be a little bit platformy, with Zelda-style combat and puzzles. Also I think I'll add some subtle references to Square Enix games in the first levels we'll show, because that will probably make the testers happy (first SE play it, then the SE fan community) and give them a good impression.

Re: We're making a fucking Square Enix game.

It should be set around the same area , but it changes over time.

12